The Prime Minister has commissioned a comprehensive review of the two-metre social distancing rule which will examine how the two-metre rule works in practice, the scientific evidence and international comparisons among other factors.
Our progress in fighting coronavirus depends on reducing the incidence of the disease and that means everyone following the rules we have set out, such as washing your hands, self-isolating if you have symptoms, taking a test and following social distancing guidelines. The comprehensive review will take advice from a range of experts, including the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Adviser. In the meantime, as shops reopen from today, people must continue to keep 2 metres apart wherever possible and follow our Stay Alert guidance. This includes shops reopening and other businesses operating in the workplace.
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:
- Stay at home as much as possible
- Work from home if you can
- Limit contact with other people
- Keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
- Wash your hands regularly
- Self-isolate if you or anyone in your household has symptoms